Laurin C Guthrie Artworks

Category: Sculpture

Some Phone Shots

Here are a few shots I took with my phone of recent work. Sorry they aren’t the best! I’m planning to borrow a camera in the next couple of weeks and get good shots of everything I’ve been working on, so I’ll post more images as soon as I can!

This is one of the block-printed pieces I did for my intro class. I have another one, too. I’ll get images of both of them up asap.

This is my latest weaving still on the loom. It doesn’t translate at all to the finished piece, but I couldn’t get any decent photos the way I had it installed for critique, so I’ll have to rehang and reshoot it.

These are some pictures of the bandsaw box I made for my furniture class before I stained it with a natural stain made from blackberries, and sealed it with a natural wood treatment I make with beeswax and walnut oil. I’ll get pictures of it with the stain up soon. It’s this great bright¬†fuchsia¬†color, much pinker than I had expected. But that’s what makes natural dyes so much fun to work with.

Advertisements

Some recent (ish) work

This is the portfolio I submitted to California College of the Arts, where I am about to finish my first semester. It’s a mixture of older and more recent work, but mostly older. I’ll try to get some recent work up soon, it’s just tricky without a camera since I have to rent one in order to photograph work or use my crappy cell camera. There’s some stuff I’ve been working on that I’m really excited about, though, so hopefully I’ll have more to share soon!

Just a note, a few of these pieces have shown up earlier as part of class portfolios, so sorry about the repetition. Also, the quilt and the embroidery piece are both works in progress, so I’ll get updated images of them up asap.

Alba Corrado’s 3d Class, Fall 2008, RISD

16″ x 20″ sketching vellum

This is the first paper folding assignment I completed in Alba’s class. It’s hard to gauge the scale, but those are tiny folds and it was a pain in the ass to do.

6″ x 3.5″ x 3.5″ sketching vellum

This was the second paper folding assignment. I had to redo it, I had originally miscalculated the angles on those folds you can see puckering on top.

11″ x 11″ x 1″ sketching vellum and acrylic paint

This was my final paper folding assignment which had to be constructed from identical modules. I wanted to create a sort of water lily type structure but had to change it at the last minute when my modules didn’t fit together the way I had hoped. The paint was still wet when I got to class, but Alba liked it.

3″ x 2″, “3.5” x 1.75″ plasticine modeling clay

These are my organic forms. The one on the right is loosely based on an illustration of a gourd flower I have. That’s really all there is to say about these.

3″ x 3.5″ plasticine modeling clay

This is the maquette I made of my acorn.

12″ x 12″ x 12″ plasticine modeling clay, aluminum wire, styrofoam

This is my final model of the acorn. This is what I used to make the plaster cast.

The pieces (3) of my plaster cast.

12″ x 12″ x 12″ plaster

This is my casting of that acorn. There are still a few final touch ups to do, plus a broken tip that needs to be repaired after shipping it across the country. I’ll post the finished piece once I get a workspace set up and can do those finishes.